Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Following in her Footsteps

While researching my rare ankle injury (os trigonum syndrome), I stumbled across a website about a ballet dancer named Michelle who had the same injury. Michelle blogged/posted images about her injury, surgery, and rehab. I practically read the entire thing, because I had no idea what the recovery from the surgery would be like. Her posts and pictures really opened my eyes about the entire thing. Not all doctors prescribe the same rehab treatment, but I didn't realize there was a chance I could be in a cast for several weeks! I had surgery on my foot two years ago and had a nerve from the ball of my foot removed. I was able to walk three days later. Getting a nerve removed, bone removed.. same thing, right? Wrong! I still need to talk to my doctor, but her posts really got me thinking about when I should have the surgery done and made me realize what an awful winter break I'm going to have! I'm not quite sure if this blog counts as an image story, but it certainly has impacted me and I'm really glad that I found it.

Michelle's Website


This injury is very common in ballet, soccer, football, and gymnastics. When the foot is pointed, the os trigonum bone is pinched between the distal tibia and the calcaneus (or in plain english, the heel and back of the ankle). It sometimes is mistaken as an achilles tendon injury. The surgery basically consists of just removing the bone, which I think is a little smaller than a marble.

Michelle's story has been both intimidating and reassuring. It's scary in the fact that surgery is surgery is surgery. No matter how minor it is, you're still going under the knife! However, it's very comforting hearing a success story and all of the details about it. Hopefully my recovery will be just as successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment