Saturday, September 4, 2010

Web 2.0

The internet is constantly changing and evolving. As new products and software are being developed, the capabilities of the internet expand greatly. It’s logical that the name “Web 2.0″ seems appropriate, but I disagree. It should be more like Web 100.0, by now. Sure, there a lot of new things about the internet, such as letting users add data to a site and allowing the data to grow on it’s own. Or automatically updating software, not making a new version for users to install every several months. What about all of the other changes that have occurred in the past decade? The internet is certainly not stagnant, these changes have been occurring over time. Who decided that these changes should be labeled as an upgrade now?

The examples given in this article are very foreign to me, as I have never used the majority of the products they are talking about, and don’t even know what they are or what they do. DoubleClick? BitTorrent? Akamai? Am I the only one who has no idea what these are? If anything, this article has successfully made me aware of how unaware I am of the internet. Thanks. Despite my ultimate confusion while reading this article, the class discussion made me realize how different the web versus the internet is. Apps are such a common thing, they are nearly taking over technology as we know it. Little did I know they function in an entirely different way than a normal web browser does. I think are a great tool and will continue to expand. In turn, I think cell phones which can facilitate these apps will become more and more popular as well. My mom just got an iTouch so she could check her Facebook when she's traveling to see her mom next week. I guess that's just keeping up with Web 2.0!

No comments:

Post a Comment